Oct 1, 2009

The Football-session

People tend to ask me how does a Greek girl from Montreal love football as much as I do..

I always answer it's part hereditary and part destiny.

Let's start with destiny. It's pretty simple really. I was born on November 22. 

Tail end of college regular season, about 3/4 of the way through regular NFL season.

Canadian football- my birthday was almost always around the Cegep Bol D'Or and CFL playoffs are  also in late November.

So I was born to love the sport. 
Many of my earliest memories took place on the football field. My dad coached from before the time I was born, and coached up until I was about ten..

So that makes sense right? Here is where hereditariness (I made that word up) kicks in.

I come from a pretty traditional Greek family, and being the first born daughter, I was named after my paternal grandmother (aka Yiayia).

Yiayia had a son who coached football (aka Coach Dad) and a son who played football (holler at Uncle Pea).

One of my absolute memories actually took place at one of my uncle's games, and it involved my sweet little yiayia taking me out of Greek school early so I can go watch. I must have been about 8 or 9, and it was not ideal football weather- it was cold and rainy, and just dreary.
Despite our team having home-field advantage,  the refs were total jerks that day. (Keep in mind this is over 15 years ago). So I'm getting annoyed, and my yiayia is screaming "Stupid Refs" in her broken English, and that's when I knew it was ok to be vocal.

I actually love that my yiayia and papou (grandpa) come visit around Christmas because there is always football on, and I am slowly teaching her the wonders of my favorite team. She calls out the "stupid refs" quicker than I do sometimes! And you better believe that anytime I get a little heated over a game, I pull the "It's hereditary!" card. 

My sister may have gotten the dancing gene, but I most def got the football gene, and I am okay with that :)

xox- Glitz





No comments: