Jan 11, 2010

Teardrops on my guitar...

I've kinda being reacting a little irrationally (re: PC) lately. While I haven't been as extreme as others taking it out on MG, I have been sad and confused. I really don't even have a reason to be sad and confuse. USC and Pete Carroll don't owe me anything.

At 16, I was a Senior in HS. Leaving in Georgia, my top two choices for college where University of Missouri and the University of Southern California.

That fall, I was more wrapped up into high school football, and figuring out where I would be next year. #1 thing on my list- a school with a football program and #2- a school with a GREAT journalism department.

Missouri was leading USC. From September-October I was pretty confident that I'd be going to middle of nowhere Columbia the following fall.

I even remember taking a trip up to Charlotte for a Panthers game, where a former player of Coach Dad's was teasing me about the Tigers. (He was a Wolverine). But something changed my friends. In mid-October. It was October 19th (good thing I have my journals from hs), I met a person who change my mind and my life. The woman's name was Ruthie- she was interviewing me for admission to USC. To quote the 16 year old me "The interview was awesome! I hope I can go to USC." I'd be lying to you if I told you I saw the loss to Stanford the night before. The 32-30 loss mind you...

I was living in SEC country. Pac-10 games were far and few between, and it was a Wednesday game- plus a school night.

That night all I wanted, and all I talked about was USC. Life happens people. I am a firm believer in "everything happens for a reason." I ended up not going to USC the following fall, but a small school that lacked #1 & #2 on my musts lists. A school that gave me opportunities to meet and interview some amazing musicians, and make friends that would last a lifetime. That's what college is about...but one thing was for sure...I was NOT going to settle for adopting an SEC team.

I HAD to have a college football team, and if I couldn't have USC, well USC could have me as a fan. So for me, the first football season as a USC fan, was Pete Carroll's as a coach. I have NEVER known a USC without Pete Carroll.

There are many moments of USC football that I love rewatching, and some moments that I could do without, but there will aways be USC football, and I will always have my Trojan fam that has so kindly accepted me (you guys know who you are).

I wish Coach Carroll all the best in Seattle, and wait with intrigue what awaits Trojan Nation in Los Angeles.


Much love- Glitz


No comments: